In the following video MCB President Howard Norsetter, Musical Director Scott Tinkler and band members Cathy Connor, Omid Shayan and Sigrid Rolfe tell of how the band addressed what seemed to be terminal decline in order to create new vitality and relevance.
Beginning as a traditional brass band in 1882, in recent years Moreland City Band has evolved into a hip, funky, multicultural ensemble that reflects the vibe of the Moreland community. We encompass a range of musical styles including jazz and big band idioms, Balkan and other world music, baroque music and traditional brass band arrangements. Instrumentation includes trumpets, horns, trombones, saxophones, double bass and drum kit. Band members include professional musicians, tertiary music students, music graduates and dedicated amateurs.
Scott Tinkler, Musical Director
Moreland City Band is privileged to have leading jazz trumpeter Scott Tinkler as its musical director. Scott has been a professional musician since 1983, is a performer with the Australian Art Orchestra and has led the ensembles the Scott Tinkler Quartet and Scott Tinkler Trio. Scott is also a winner of Aria and National Jazz Awards. Scott is a lecturer at the Victorian College of the Arts, Monash University and has given master classes at numerous other prestigious music faculties.
Tony Gould, Patron
Moreland City Band is truly honoured to have Tony Gould, Australian jazz musician, pianist, composer and educator as our patron. Mr Gould’s many recordings and performances reveal his harmonic view of music and his love of music from both African-American and European jazz traditions, as well as the classical works of Bach, Mahler, Stravinsky and Messiaen.
Tony Gould – Awards
- 2005, APRA/Australian Music Centre (AMC) Classical Music Award for “Outstanding Contribution to Australian Music in Education” (2005)
- 2006, Australia Council Music Board Fellowship (2006 & 2007)
- 2007, Distinguished Artist residency at Arthur Boyd’s artist’s studios in Bundanon (2007)
- 2007, Order of Australia (AM) (2007)
- Don Banks Award (Australia Council for the Arts)
- 2009, APRA/AMC Classical Music Awards – Instrumental Work of the Year “The River Meets the Sea” by Imogen Manins, Tony Gould, David Jones from Under the Tall Trees
- 2011 Australian Jazz Bell Awards ‘Hall of Fame’
More about Moreland City Band